Monday, January 10, 2011

Another resolution

My best friend from high school, Kharis Veazey, is getting married in May! It's so exciting. She's found the perfect guy for her, and they love each other so much. She asked me to be her bridesmaid, too. What an honor!

So I was looking at bridesmaid dresses on the David's Bridal website. She wants the dresses to be from here, because they have the fabric and color she wants for her bridesmaids: short, cotton sateen, and their color "Watermelon." As I was looking through them, though, my thought was: "HOLY COW!" These are expensive!! I mean, I'm sure they are reasonably priced. They're signature dresses and made very well, but still, yikes. To top that, most dresses are sleeveless or strapless, and to stay modest, I'd need to get a shrug or bolero. $139 for the dress I liked + $49 for the bolero = $188. I'm working part-time at Raising Cane's... Where am I going to come up with that money?? I wish I wasn't a poor college student and had to make hard decisions like this, but unfortunately, I am...

Modest, but out of my price range...

I kept searching, though. I looked under sale, but there were no cotton sateens that I liked there, or if I did like them, they weren't available in Watermelon. Then I stumbled upon the Outlet dresses. There was still little selection, and only three cotton sateen dresses were available. Two were only available in plus size and in one or two colors, but the third caught my eye. It was modest, so I didn't need to buy the bolero, and was available in watermelon! And it was listed for $59.99! Blessings!! They were out of size 8's and 10's, but had a 6 and some 12's. I figured I'd get the 6...it won't be too hard to lose weight and fit into that. And hey, David's Bridal does online returns in case it's too small. I bought the dress. After shipping and tax, it ended up being $79.51. A little pricey, but that's still $100 less than what I would have originally had to have paid. And I can pay that so Kharis can have the wedding she wants. So, perfect.

Modest, cute, and reasonably affordable!

Slight problem, though. I tell Kharis about the dress I bought, and she tells me that (1) I can't return it, and (2) that David's Bridal dresses run small. I check back online at the return policy, and lo and behold, outlet dress sales are FINAL. I can't return it. And if the dress runs small, that means I may have to fit into smaller than a 6...


Now I have another goal: by May 22, I am going to fit into a size 6 (or smaller) dress. I need to lose two dress sizes. Is that a reasonable goal to attain in 4 months?

3 comments:

  1. Nat, if I know you (and I think I do...) you can totally fit into that dress by May 22! Just stick to the things you know you have to do: diet and exercise. There really aren't any compromises when it comes to losing weight... but it's OK because you know how to stick to a goal when you put your mind to it. Plus, in the end, you'll be SMOKING hot. Which is never a bad thing, especially if you have something IMPORTANT coming up. (double meaning? :)

    Good luck, sister! Let me know if you need any moral support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can totally do it. You are one of the BEST at sticking to something that you choose to make important. So just make it a priority and be as stubborn as you have to be. Good luck! (PS, let's go running together next week...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't make that goal, I will help you either get a new dress, or buy the 6 for Jennifer and make her wear it to a dance. Sound good?

    ReplyDelete